Department of Physical Sciences (DPS) is one of the three departments within the School of Engineering, Technology and Sciences (SETS), the other two being the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE) and the Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE). DPS offers majors and minors in physics and mathematics along with offering general education courses for the other two departments in particular and for all other departments of the university in general. The department currently has 12 full-time faculty members with PhDs.
To create world citizens who understand the physical world and its mathematical basis and are able to apply the mathematical laws of nature for the betterment of our planet and society.
- To produce graduates who can pursue graduate studies in the top universities of the world and secure fulfilling jobs in any field related to the application of mathematics and physics.
- To create a leading international environment of state-of-the-art research in physics, mathematics and astronomy in Bangladesh.
- To reach out to the general public in order to raise awareness about modern science and its usefulness for the preservation and flourishing of human societies.
- Produce graduates familiar with the recent advancements in physics and mathematics and their applications in industry.
- Train the students of engineering and computer science in the fundamentals of physics and mathematics.
- Inspire and train the next generations of physicists and mathematicians who will return to Bangladesh after finishing graduate studies in the top universities of the world.
- Establish the first research program of observational astronomy and astrophysics in Bangladesh.
- Create a research environment where faculty members can work in collaboration with other national and international universities and organizations and publish in the top journals of the world.
- Secure funds from the university and various national and international entities for building research and teaching facilities in keeping with the changing world.
- Organize competitions for school and university students and outreach events for the general public for the dissemination of scientific knowledge in the society at large.