NCH 101: National Culture and Heritage
3 credits | Prerequisites: None
The course will investigate Bangladesh’s culture in its diverse manifestations; trace its change over time by establishing a historical link between the past and present, and project into a globalized future. It will introduce various methodologies to appreciate cultural heritage based on an innovative and integrated perspective derived both from the human and the natural sciences. The course has been designed to accommodate students from multidisciplinary backgrounds and to enrich their knowledge of various aspects of the culture and heritage of Bangladesh. The subjects of the course include the anthropological background of the people; major indigenous communities and their culture; human settlements and archaeological sites; sculpture and iconography; arts and crafts; transportation systems; indigenous performances; festivals; indigenous games; cuisine and food habits; folk beliefs and practices.
Key concepts of culture, heritage, etc; ethnohistory of Bengali people; the cultural heritage of Bangladesh;
archaeological sites and monuments in Bangladesh; Bengal architecture through the ages; painting and sculpture in Bangladesh; folk beliefs and practices in Bangladesh; festivals and games of Bangladesh; rivers of Bangladesh and indigenous and marginalized communities in Bangladesh.
- Introduce students with rich history, culture, and heritage of Bangladesh.
- Understanding the glorious past of Bangladesh and the creations of ancestors.
- Demonstrate well-informed understanding and knowledge of Bangladeshi cultural legacy in its various forms.
- Develop a critical awareness of the issues concerning the preservation and transformation of Bangladeshi cultural heritage and heritage sites.
- Develop a knowledgeable, critical and creative attitude towards Bangladeshi cultural heritage.
- A F Salahuddin and Chowdhury, Bazlul Mobin (ed.) (2004), Bangladesh-National Culture and Heritage, Dhaka: Independent University, Bangladesh.
- Milu, Mohammed Ali (2014), Cultural and Folklore Heritage of Bangladesh: Cultural Heritage, Dhaka: Create Space Independent Platform.