FRN 101: Elementary French
3 credits | Prerequisites: None
This is an elementary course of French Language. The main objective of this course is to enable students to use French as elementary level. It is tailored for using French at elementary level of proficiency for effective communication in everyday life and different situations. According to modern pedagogy, emphasis given on a function based communicative approach in order to facilitate the four skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing). Students develop their vocabulary, grammar, structural accuracy, pronunciation, oral fluency and overall acquisition through different activities, pair work, group work, role play, exercises and audio-visual support.
This course introduces all four language skills to ensure elementary level of proficiency in French. Students will also practice and develop a variety of communication skills in preparation for further French study. This course is designed for the learners who want to learn basics of French. Students will be able to develop an ability to use basic French effectively for daily communication. The course also aims to offer insights into the culture and civilization of French speaking countries, encouraging positive attitudes towards learning French. This course is also designed with a view to providing knowledge of beginner French user. This course will help students to develop their proficiency for effective communication in everyday life and different situations in French.
Introduction to French language
- French alphabet and French word formation
- Greetings in French
- French accent and pronunciation rules.
- French article, gender and numbers.
- Subject and object pronouns in French
- French verb conjugation: Regular and irregular verbs
- Common prepositions in French
- Sentence-making and writing practice in French
- Self-introduction in French
- WH words in French
- Making interrogative and negative sentences in French
- Introducing a person in French
- Demonstrative and possessive adjectives in French
- Practicing short conversations in French
- Read a text to understand basic information in French.
- Learn French vocabulary in context
- Watching French short films and songs for better pronunciation
- Short simulated French dialogue practice
- Describing home or apartment in French
- Question and answer practice in French
- Timing in French
- Writing emails and invitations in French
- Le Nouveau Taxi 1 (2010) , Méthode de Français, by Robert Menand, Hachette , Paris, France
- Cahier d’activités, Le Nouveau Taxi 1 (2010) , Méthode de Français, by Robert Menand, Hachette , Paris, France
- Collins First Time Dictionary by Harper Collins Publisher, New Edition (2012)